A Chronology of Louis C. Tiffany and Tiffany Studios

 



1848 

Louis Comfort Tiffany is born in New York City to Charles and Harriet Tiffany on February 18


1863-64 

Tiffany attends Eagleswood Military Academy in Perth Amboy, NJ


1865 

Tiffany leaves school to study under painter George Inness


1865-66 

Tiffany makes his first trip to Europe, traveling to England, Ireland, France and Italy


1866 

Tiffany admitted to antique classes at the National Academy of Design and befriends Samuel Colman, a painting instructor in the Academy


1868-69 

Tiffany travels to Paris to study painting with Leon-Charles Bailly. Returns to New York City and lives in the YMCA across the street from the National Academy of Design


1870 

Tiffany, together with the artist Robert Swain Gifford, travels to London, Paris, Madrid, Malaga, Gibraltar, Tangier, Malta, Sicily, Naples, Amalfi, Sorrento, Alexandria, Cairo, Tunisia, Algeria, Rome and Florence


1871 

Tiffany elected and Associate of the National Academy of Design


1872 

Tiffany marries Mary Woodbridge Goddard


1873 

Tiffany’s first child, Mary Woodbridge Tiffany is born

         

1875 

Tiffany experiments with glassmaking at Thill’s Empire State Flint Glass Works in Brooklyn


1876 

Tiffany exhibits three oil paintings and six watercolors in the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition


1877 

Samuel Colman persuades Tiffany teach at the Society of Decorative Arts along with Candace Wheeler and Lockwood de Forest


1878 

Tiffany moves from the YMCA to the Bella Apartments

Louis C. Tiffany and Company is formed and opens its first   glasshouse but it burns down


1880

Tiffany continues his glass experiments at the Heidt Glass Furnace in Brooklyn


1881 

The firm of Louis C. Tiffany and Company, Associated Artists is established


1882 

The Associated Artists commissioned to do work for Mark Twain, Cornelius Vanderbilt II and Ogden Goelet and hired by President Chester Arthur to decorate several rooms in the White House


1883 

The firm of Louis C. Tiffany and Company, Associated Artists is dissolved and Tiffany continues the business as Louis C. Tiffany and Company


1884 

Tiffany’s wife, Mary Woodbridge Goddard Tiffany, dies


1885 

Tiffany and family move from the Bella Apartments to his father’s new mansion on 72nd Street

          

1886 

Tiffany marries Louise Wakeman Knox


1887 

The Tiffany Glass Company is established


1889 

Tiffany travels to Paris and visits Emile Galle’s glass factory in Nancy























1892 

Tiffany is commissioned to decorate the Henry O. Havemeyer house in New York City

The Tiffany Glass Company is reestablished as the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company. Tiffany purchases a building in Corona, Queens and converts it into a glass furnace to produce Favrile glass


1893 

The Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company is awarded fifty-four medals for its display at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago


1894 

Siegfried Bing, owner of the Paris gallery L’Art Nouveau, visits the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company at later becomes Tiffany’s exclusive distributor in Europe

Tiffany registers “Favrile” as a trademark with the U.S. patent office


1897 

Tiffany organizes foundry and metal shops at the Corona factory



















1900 

Tiffany exhibits Favrile glass, windows, lamps, mosaics and enamels at the Paris Exposition Universelle, where he is awarded a grand prize for applied arts and is appointed a Chevalier in the Legion of Honor


1901 

Tiffany wins a grand prize at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York and also wins prizes at expositions in Dresden and Saint Petersburg


1902 

Charles Tiffany dies and leaves his son about $5 million and a controlling interest in Tiffany and Company

Tiffany Studios, at 333-341 Fourth Avenue, is incorporated and Tiffany Furnaces is created






















1903 

Tiffany Studios introduces Favrile pottery


1904 

Tiffany wins a gold medal at the Louisiana Purchase International Exposition and exhibits his own jewelry designs for the first time

Tiffany’s second wife, Louise Wakeman Knox Tiffany, dies of cancer


1905

Tiffany and family move to his new estate, Laurelton Hall, in Oyster Bay, New York



















1907

Tiffany is awarded a gold medal at the Jamestown Exposition in Virginia


1909

Tiffany wins a grand prize for his exhibition in the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in Seattle


1911

Tiffany Studios creates a glass curtain for the National Theater, Mexico City



















1913 

Tiffany hosts his Egyptian Fete for 300 guests to international acclaim


1914

The Art Work of Louis C. Tiffany, ghostwritten by Charles DeKay, is published in an edition of 492 with another 10 copies printed on vellum and bound in a bronze cover


1915

Tiffany is awarded a gold medal at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco.

The Dream Garden mosaic, designed by Maxfield Parish, is installed in the Curtis Building,Philadelphia


1916

Tiffany hosts a 68th birthday party for 300 guests that features a masque called the Quest of Beauty and retrospective exhibition of his artwork


1919

Tiffany retires from Tiffany Studios and creates the Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation to aid and train young artists with a $1 million donation


1920

Tiffany Furnaces is reorganized and A. Douglas Nash is appointed to operate the new company of Louis C. Tiffany Furnaces


1924 

Louis C. Tiffany Furnaces closes and is renamed the A. Douglas Nash Company


1932

Tiffany Studios files for bankruptcy


1933

Louis Comfort Tiffany dies on January 17